6. John Lloyd Cruz is one of three recipients of the Star Asia award, given during the 15th New York Asian Film Festival, held in the United States from June 22 to July 5. Cruz is the first Filipino and Southeast Asian actor to receive the honor. John Lloyd joins South Korea’s Lee Byung-hun and Hong Kong’s Miriam Yeung in 2016 honor roll.
Another Filipino, teen actress Therese Malvar received the Screen International Rising Star Asia award, also handed out during the fest. Cruz and Malvar’s awards are for the screenings of their films, Erik Matti’s “Honor Thy Father” and Ralston Jover’s “Hamog,” respectively.
7. John Lloyd loves just four things. They are the following:
His job. John Lloyd says his job changed his and his family’s life, and he takes pride in what he does. “Ngayon gusto ko lang i-share ‘yun, especially sa mga pamangkin ko,” he said about his success. “Tuloy ang pag-aaral, kung gusto nila mag-aral sa ibang bansa.”
But just like many things, his hit movies and television shows come at a price. “Sa aming mga artista, talagang sira ang body clock namin… Medyo toxic sa katawan talaga ang trabaho namin,” he said.
Asked how long he is planning to stay in showbiz, Cruz said: “Ang mga artista sasabihin nila ‘hangga’t gusto ako ng mga tao, andito ako.’ Pero hindi eh. Hindi naman tao ang may hawak ng trabahong ito eh. Ikaw ang may hawak niyan, so kailangan mong alagaan at pagyamanin. Kaya siguro, hangga’t meron pa akong maibibigay, my passion for this craft, sana tangkilikin pa rin tayo.”
Binge-watching. Like most people, Cruz does binge-watching, too; you know, watching television when he cannot sleep, or simply to pass the time. “Kalaban ko sa gabi, TV, kasi mahilig tayo manood ng TV at pelikula ‘pag di makatulog, o kahit kailangan na talaga matulog. TV talaga eh,” he said. His favorite shows include those aired in cable channels such as National Geographic, HBO, Star Movies and the History Channel.
Food. In “Unofficially Yours,” Cruz plays the role of a dentist-turned-writer who cooks when he is in love. In real life, he is more like an eater than a cook. And he admits that.
“Hindi [ako nagluluto]. Magaling lang ako kumain,” the actor said. John Lloyd likes sinangag (fried rice) and tuyo (smoked fish).
Simple luxuries. Cruz admits that he has earned quite a lot from doing TV shows and movies, but maintained that money has not drastically changed his lifestyle.
“Maswerte rin ako sa mga magulang ko kasi sila ang epitome ng simple life. Kahit gaano ‘yung success na tinamasa [ko] through the years, ‘di nagbago ‘yung buhay ko,” he said.
The actor said, however, that he occasionally enjoys the fruits of his labor by indulging in simple luxuries such as travel. “I enjoy quality. Travel, kotse minsan,” he said.
8. In a series of posts in The Elbi Files, a Facebook page for UPLB students, an anonymous user revealed she is the daughter of John Lloyd Cruz – a claim John Lloyd denies. In his interview with Philippine Showbiz Republic, Cruz dispelled rumors tagging him as the father of a 16-year-old UPLB student. Cruz said it was quite impossible for him to conceive a child at the age of 15. He also challenged the ones involved to face him and show their evidence about their allegations against him.
“Parang malabo namang mangyari ‘yun. Pero ‘yun nga, kung seryoso sila sa allegations nila, humarap sila.. kasi feeling ko, tine-test lang ‘yung ano..kung papatulan ba o hindi.” (It’s quite impossible for that to happen. But if they are serious about their allegations, they should face me. I feel that they are just testing if I will entertain the issue or not.)
9. John Lloyd Cruz wants to get married first before having a child. But, is he ready to have one? Well, he believes no one could really say when they’re ready to do something they think they couldn’t do or have. “Sino ba talaga makakapagsabi kailan ka handa, ‘di ba?” he replied when asked if he’s ready to have a child, in an interview in the late-night talk show “Tonight with Boy Abunda”. But as said, ideally, he wants to marry first before having a child.
10. John Lloyd Cruz is also known for his epic and memorable “hugot” lines. So, we’ll give you some!
“Siguro kaya tayo iniiwanan ng mga mahal natin, dahil may darating pang ibang mas magmamahal sa atin—‘yung hindi tayo sasaktan at paasahin. Yung magtatama ng lahat ng mali sa buhay natin.” – From One More Chance
“I didn’t ask you to love me so don’t make me feel that I need to love you back.” – From A Very Special Love
“Gustung-gusto kitang yakapin. Gustung-gusto kitang halikan. Gusto ko maging tayo. Maging akin ka. Pero dahil matalik mo akong kaibigan, gusto kong mag-isip kang mabuti. Kung yan na ngayon. Dahil baka naguguluhan ka lang. Natatakot ka dahil bago pa lang kayo ni Lance. At kahit na alam ko na dahil binibigyan kita ng panahon para makapag-isip posibleng ma-realize mo na hindi pala ako ang pipiliin mo.” – From Close To You