Wag mo akong ma-Terry, Terry. Iyong tanong ko ang sagutin mo. Are you fu**ing my husband? (Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin, 1994)
Maricel Soriano, no doubt, is one of the most celebrated and decorated actresses of her time. People remember her for her iconic style and memorable lines such as the one quoted above. Dubbed as “The Diamond Star”, Maricel is known for her versatility and exquisite talent. She has starred in films covering different genres including comedy, fantasy (Inday series), horror, suspense, action, romance and drama. She has appeared in hundreds of films and has appeared in various blockbuster hits.
In addition to being an actress, Soriano is also a singer and has recorded several songs including the theme song of her movie Oh My Mama in 1981. In 1987, she performed a sold out concert at the Araneta Coliseum; the show titled “Hello, Hello Maricel”.
So, this time, let’s talk about the making of a “Diamond Star”, Ms. Maricel Soriano.
1. Maricel Soriano was born Maria Cecilia Dador Soriano on February 25, 1965 (how old is she today? You do the Math. LOL) in Manila, Philippines.
2. Maricel started her acting career at a very young age. At a young age of 6, Maricel debuted in My Heart Belongs To Daddy (1971). She was joined by Tirso Cruz III and fellow child actress Snooky Serna.
3. Maricel Soriano is the Third Most Awarded actress of all time. She has garnered more awards than Sharon Cuneta garnering 46 movie and television awards from FAMAS, PMPC, Empress, FAP, YCC, Pasado, GMMSFP, MMFF, Manila, Iloilo and CineManila Film Festivals.
4. Maricel is known as “The Diamond Star”, but did you know that she bears another title? Yes, she is also known as ‘The Taray Queen’. Maricel has assumed feisty roles in Philippine movie and television and she is so good at it that people dubbed her their Queen of “Katarayan”.
5. Maricel is also known as the “Queen of Drama Anthology”, especially in the early 90s. In the 90s, Maricel starred in a weekly drama show which consistently topped the primetime ratings.