Top 10 Causes of Death in the Philippines

Causes of Death in PH
Image from pixabay.com

Death is a natural feature of the human race. It has been one of the most explored areas of study ever. As a matter of fact, many people have been involved with this – doctors who prevent death, counselors who relieve the pain of losing someone, and a lot more. And death itself is a natural case which can be affected by several factors. Death comes naturally, but most often than not, death is now caused by a constellation of diseases. In the Philippines, there are several factors which can really affect the longevity of life of the Filipinos. Here are some of those according to World Life Expectancy (2014):

1. Coronary Heart Disease

According to a health study conducted in 2009, 170,000 Filipinos die each year or 19 Filipinos each hour because of having coronary heart disease. Although this is not specific to the environment, it reflects something about the lifestyle Filipino have. CHDs are basically brought about by cholesterol or plaques building up inside coronary arteries that block the blood flow. If the oxygenated blood cannot flow properly, the person is very likely to die in a matter of seconds. These plaques can be acquired from eating fatty and salty food too much. And since Filipinos really enjoy munching on food which is really high in fats and cholesterol, the risk and actuality of CHD are very high. Coronary Heart Disease, as a matter of fact, accounts for the 16.86% of total Filipino deaths in 2014.



2. Stroke

Stroke is the second leading cause of death in the Philippines. And unlike CHD, it has several types. According to Department of Health, every 9 minutes, one person dies because of stroke. All in all, this lifestyle disease accounts for 12.14% of total deaths in the Philippines. Stroke basically is a medical condition where oxygenated blood is hindered to flow properly on a particular part of the brain. There are three types of strokes Р thrombotic, embolic, and hemorrhagic. Thrombotic stroke occurs when a blood clot forms in an artery and blocks the flow of the blood. Embolic stroke, on the other hand, occurs when a blood clot forms in any part of the body and moves to the brain. Lastly, a hemorrhagic stroke happens when a weak blood vessel in the brain bursts and blood moves into the brain tissue. The brain cells and tissue do not receive oxygen and nutrients. According to a study conducted by Navarro, et al. on 2014, ischemic stroke (thrombotic and embolic) accounts for 30% of the deaths and the remaining 70% is caused by the hemorrhagic stroke.

3. Influenza and Pneumonia

Influenza and pneumonia, according to World Life Expectancy accounts for the 9.95% of the death rate in the Philippines, which is equivalent to 51,889 deaths. These two are grouped into one major cause of death for they both target the respiratory system. Basically, influenza or flu is a medical condition where there is a viral infection which affects the respiratory system. This specific disease targets young children, older adults, pregnant women, and people who have weakened immune systems. It is also a very communicable disease because it can easily spread out once someone who has it sneezed around. Pneumonia, on the other hand, is a medical condition where there is lung inflammation caused by both or either viral or bacterial infection. These infections compromise the air sacs or alveoli, giving the person difficulty in breathing. In severe cases, the air sacs totally harden up making it impossible to breathe – thus the death. There are many causes why Filipinos tend to get these diseases and most of them point to the environmental condition that the country has.

continue reading at next page>>>